DURING THE RETREAT WE CONSIDER THE MAJOR THREATS TO CHILDREN
– nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction….
– war (perpetual and unending) driven by an imperial claim to control the earth’s resources…..
– utter, dehumanizing poverty – consequence of a greed-driven global economy that is collapsing and causing untold suffering and death;
– global climate crisis and ecological destruction – consequence of our addiction to consumer life-styles.
Despite the heartbreaking realities of our war-torn world, we walk in hope:
– that God is with (and within) us
– that with God all things are possible,
– that nonviolent resistance to imperial death-dealing can be transformative, and
– that, when serious people come together on behalf of life, good things happen.
Click here for pics and reflections from the retreat!
Liz McAlister opened on Monday evening with a sharing about the history and spirit of the Pentagon, as a way of understanding it better and preparing for our presence there on Tuesday a.m.
Ramsey Clark, former U.S. Attorney General, spoke on Tuesday evening at 7:00pm on the 20 years of uninterrupted war our nation has waged against the people of Iraq. Few have walked these years with Iraqi victims as he has, beginning even before George H.W. Bush began his bombing crusade.
For more information, check the Jonah House web site – http://www.jonahhouse.org/–
or call Dorothy Day C.W. 202-882-9649
or Jonah House 410-233-6238.