April 30 at 10:00am
Two hundred-fifty prisoners remain detained in Guantanamo, including many already cleared for release, Bagram prison is expanding. Indefinite detention is continuing. We invite you to join us in Washington DC for the 100th Day, April 30 for a procession in orange jump suits and a nonviolent direct action at the White House. We are asking folks to arrive early on April 29, and we will provide housing and meals for your time in DC.
The Obama administration needs to know that situation at Guantanamo today remains as unacceptable as it was on Jan. 20th.
Witness Against Torture is looking for people who are willing to risk arrest in DC on April 30th in an action to call attention to the plight of the 60 men at Guantanamo who have been cleared for release but still languish there.
The proposed scenario goes something like this:
- 10am: Gathering @ Capital Reflecting Pool (3rd & Constitution)
- 10:15am: Speaker from Amnesty International & Witness Against Torture
- 10:30am: Procession to the White House
- 11:15am: Procession arrives in Lafayette Park
- 11:30am: Rally in Lafayette Park with Amnesty International, Witness Against Torture, TASSC and others
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm Procession to WH Sidewalk and reading of prisoner accounts.
We will provide food, housing, and other support. Plan to arrive in DC on Wednesday, April 29th by 2pm for action planning, dinner, and a Wednesday Night event that includes Dan Berrigan & Liz McAlister!
Please rsvp and let us know when you will come, and if you are able to risk arrest.