FAITH AND RESISTANCE RETREAT
August 5 – 9, 2008
– to remember and repent of
the crime of NUCLEAR WEAPONS
– to commit to their elimination
from the earth.
at St. Stephen and the Incarnation
16th and Newton Streets, N.W.
– with the Dorothy Day Catholic Workers, Jonah House Community and friends
– with reflections from Frida Berrigan, Seymour Hersh and Hibakusha
– with actions at the Pentagon, the USS Sterett in Baltimore for commissioning, the Department of Energy, and the White House. Sit with us in sackcloth and ashes…..
We are especially concerned,
– in this Bush era of total war on every front
– with the Pentagon footprint firmly planted across the planet dwarfing every other institution of government in the process
– in the days before what could well be the end of days
– as the probability of nuclear war on Iran leaps onto center stage (were center stage not so dominated by the price of every tank of gas).
We will begin with supper at 6:00 p.m. on August 5, 2007. Simple meals and sleeping bag space will be provided. If you need a bed, let us know and we’ll do what we can to accommodate you.
There will be a program for children.
The focus will be on building community, practicing nonviolence, and engaging in public witness against the atrocities of war – at the Pentagon, the White House and elsewhere.
Prayer and Reflection sessions are inherent to the process of the retreat. The dynamic that we seek to practice is one of reflection – action – reflection (planning resistance witnesses together, doing them, evaluating them and beginning again with the same sequence).
The USS Sterett, a $1.3 billion Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer, built at Bath Iron Works, will be displayed with great adulation from August 2 – 9 in Baltimore and commissioned the evening of August 9 in Baltimore.
As part of our time together, we will visit this ship in order to expose it as a weapon of mass destruction, nuclear capable, equipped to withstand an attack of atomic, biological and chemical weapons. This one ship is capable of inflicting multiple Hiroshimas and Nagasakis on our world.
Please let us know if you can be with us.
Phone, e-mail or write
Dorothy Day Catholic Worker – 202-882-9649
503 Rock Creek Church Rd. NW
Washington DC 20010
Jonah House – 410-233-6238 email@example.com
1301 Moreland Ave , Baltimore MD 21216
IT IS NOT TOO LATE
FOR US TO LISTEN